The Top 8 Fit Trips for 2017
These once in a lifetime experiences are packed full of adventure for the fit traveller.
1. Ride an Ironman bike course: With tour operators Ride & Seek and Big Island Bike Tours, ride the roads of Hawaii’s grueling and windy Ironman bike course, through coffee plantations and up the world’s largest active volcano, 13,677-foot Mauna Loa. You’ll also get to soak away any soreness in the heated tide pools of Kapoho.
2. Snorkel and kayak Thailand: On an Adventure Life trip, snorkel the clear waters of the Gulf of Thailand, home to abundant coral and marine life, and spend a day exploring the uninhabited islands of Angthong Marine Park by kayak. There’s also plenty of time to relax on the idyllic beaches of Koh Samui.
3. Trek with gorillas in Rwanda: Encounter some of the last remaining mountain gorillas in the world on a Gondwana EcoTours trek into the lush forests of Rwanda, home to hundreds of species of birds and numerous waterfalls. You’ll also track chimpanzees and the golden monkey, and watch for elephants and buffalo.
4. Ski steep and deep in Montana: Rent a cabin in the Moonlight Basin community and ski the steep, open terrain of Montana’s Big Sky resort. You’ll have access to 5,800 acres and 4,350 feet of vertical, and with a private guide from Moonlight can ski the famed North Summit Snowfield and areas normally closed to the public. Other activities include guided Nordic skiing, snowshoeing and fat biking on winter trails.
5. Hike and photograph Northwest Argentina: With Travel Vision Journeys, hike and photograph a variety of landscapes in Northwest Argentina, including the Gorge of Arrows, Seven Colors Mountain, the Enchanted Valley in Los Cardones National Park and the Salinas Grandes salt flat. Along the way, you’ll also sample some of the country’s finest wines from high-altitude vineyards.
6. Fly fish Bolivia: Where the Amazon jungle meets the Andes, wade a freestone stream and walk its banks on a Frontiers tour of Bolivia. You’ll be casting for golden dorado, as well as pirapitinga, yatorana and surubi in remote national park and indigenous territory.
7. Yoga at a Wyoming ranch retreat: At Red Reflet Ranch near Ten Sleep, Wyoming, take a yoga class with serene views of green pastures, ponds and red rock formations. There’s also a climbing wall, hiking, mountain biking and, of course, horseback and cattle activities.
8. Cycle an alpine road in Romania: On Ciclismo Classico’s Grand Tour of Transylvania, climb 15 miles up the winding Transfagarasan alpine road – the second-highest paved road in Romania – to Balea Lake at 6,562 feet in elevation. You’ll also pass through medieval cities, stay in a restored castle and visit a fortified church.
Read more in the Winter 2016 issue of City Style and Living Magazine.